How to Keep Your Sod Grass Easy to Manage: 5 Time & Money-Saving Tips
For many people, sod grass offers the perfect solution for a beautiful lawn. Repairing or replacing part of your lawn or even the whole lawn may seem like an overwhelming and time-consuming project. Sod grass is the way to go if you want to get things going right away. After all, planting grass seed can be as painful as, well, “watching grass grow.”
Although sod is a good option for your home lawn, it’s also the kind of thing that needs lots of ongoing TLC. Here are 5 time, money, and trouble-saving tips to help you keep your lawn looking fresh, beautiful, and well-maintained all year round:
1. Make sure your sod grass is planted on a solid foundation by:
- Treating for weeds before planting
- Clearing the soil of diseased/wilted grass, rocks & debris
- Tilling the soil, if possible, to allow for proper aeration
- Introducing quality soil if plot is sandy, rocky or depleted
2. Make provisions for watering ahead of time by:
- Consider installing an automatic watering system before the sod gets installed. The installation will be easier with the previous grass removed and the soil beneath tilled and exposed. Consult with your landscape professionals about setting up the proper zones and understanding your water pressure limitations. Setting up watering schedules each month will help you work with or around the fluctuating seasons and rainfall in your area to keep your new sod looking great for as long as possible.
3. Secure the newly-sodden area appropriately by:
- Newly installed sod needs time to take root. Putting up “Keep Off Lawn” signs and instructing family & friends to not tread on the grass will help the tender new sod root in without also having to repair damage made by pets or family. If you are worried about the new sod rooting in properly, consider laying sod in the spring when the conditions are best for growth.
4. Avoid geographic or climate-related issues by:
- Selecting the right type of grass for your area is incredibly important. Modern Turf offers a wide selection of warm region grasses that do well with lots of sun and drought conditions. Monitoring how much rainfall and sunlight your lawn get will also help you choose the best grass for your location. Also, treating your grass and soil, as required or recommended, paying special attention to weeds, fungus, and soil pH levels.
5. Engaging the help/expertise of professionals by:
- Finding a lawn company with a good reputation to help ensure that your lawn is well-kept
- Getting feedback that will save you time & money
If you are burdened with a lawn that needs to be re-built or a plot of land that can use a whole new lawn, then sod grass is your best bet. Although sod grass planting may look easy, it is best done with the help and feedback of the knowledgeable, friendly professionals at Modern Turf. Call us today for fast, reliable, and time and money-saving assistance!